Saturday, October 11, 2008

PSP Custom Firmware Upgrade


UPGRADE PSP FROM 3.80 M33-5 TO 4.01 M33-2

I bought my psp with a custom firmware, 3.80 M33-5. I succesfully upgraded my firmware to 4.01 m33-2 . I've search on how to upgrade my firmware. Though there were some hesitations at first, coz it might brick my psp, I still tried to upgrade it, and fortunately I was successful. I saved money from letting my psp be upgraded on some shops.

I'll share you how i did it. Just like me, take the risks and it's worth it. I was successful in upgrading my PSP.
This Tutorial is for those who want to know how to upgrade their PSP. I hope this would help.

REMINDERS: Before upgrading your PSP's firmware ...
- Disable all Plugins in Recovery Mode before upgrading. (EGs. CXMB.prx, Musis.prx)
- Restore your theme back to Original Sony Theme.

- Make sure that your battery is fully charged and that your PSP cable is perfectly attached. Or else you might destroy your PSP.

- Make sure that you create your folder in CAPITAL letters, or just right click folder, and rename it in caps.

-Read the details I wrote above before resuming. I don't know with my own psp, my old version was 3.80 m33-5, and I succesfully upgraded it to 4.01 m33-2
- Update/Proceed on your own risk..


WARNINGS:
- DON'T turn off your PSP while it's updating or it might break.
- DON'T remove your PSP cable while updating.

DETAILED STEPS:

1.) Download the PSP 4.01 Firmware HERE or for direct download click HERE .

2.) Save EBOOT.PBP file on your computer. Save it on your desktop for easy access.



3.) Plug your PSP USB cable, then turn on your psp. Go to SETTINGS then choose USB Connection then press (X) to connect. The computer should detect your PSP , and automatically pop up your psp drive. Similar to this. (This is my PSP drive)



If the psp drive os not automatically detected, Go to MY COMPUTER then look for your psp drive.


4.) Click your PSP drive found on my computer
5.) Click the PSP folder
6.) In the PSP folder click GAME folder
7.) In the GAME folder, create a new folder and name it UPDATE in capital letter .
8.) Inside the UPDATE folder paste or drag the EBOOT.PBP that you downloaded earlier.
9.) Press 'O' button on your psp to get out of the USB Mode.


Note:
- If you can't find the PSP and GAME folder, just create them.
- The folder names should all be in CAPITAL LETTERS.
- The the GAME folder should be in the PSP folder


Before you go on, make sure your battery is fully charged.

10.) On your PSP go to Game, scroll down to Memory Stick then press 'X' button.

11.) Press PSP Update Version 4.01, the screen will then clear for a few seconds and will display 'PSP System Software Version 4.01'. Press Start to upgrade.

12.) When upgrading is in process, avoid touching or holding your PSP, coz the cable might be losen and might damage your PSP. Just put it on top of a flat surface like a table to make sure that upgrading would not be interferred.

What you just did is upgrade your PSP to official firmware 4.01 m33. You must upgrade it to custom firmware to be able to play games even withouth the UMD disc, and play homebew games.

Here are the steps to upgrade from 4.01 m33 to 4.01 m33-2

1.) Download 4.01 m33-2
HERE
2.) Extract the file you just downloaded on your desktop.
3.) Go to PSP /GAME folder, then paste the UPDATE folder from your desktop. (The one you extracted earlier).
3.) On your PSP go to Game and run the m33 updater, and wait for update to finish
*After upgrading is done. You can now delete the UPDATE folders in PSP/GAME folder.*

This Tutorial is for those who want to know how to upgrade their PSP in detail. I hope this would help.

Credits to:
http://www.soft82.com/, http://www.consolespot.net/ , Dark Alex for the custome firmware

1 comment:

Marius Manole said...

Hello,

Our website domain name changed from soft82.com to download82.com. Please update the link from your website (http://www.soft82.com/download/windows/playstation-portable-psp-firmware/) accordingly.

You can use one of our badges from: http://www.download82.com/badges/

Thanks & Regards,

Marius Manole
The Download82.com Team
support@download82.com
www.download82.com